Lincoln County is rich with historical landmarks
The following list of Lincoln County historical landmarks is from the National Register of Historic Places via the National Park Service.
The Caldwell-Cobb-Love House was built about 1841 as a transitional Federal/Greek Revival dwelling and extensively remodeled in the Victorian Cottage style about 1877. It was again remodeled and enlarged at the turn of the 20th century. The two-story, frame dwelling features three cross gable ells, wall dormers, inset porch, and balconies. It has a three-story rear wing. It was built by Dr. Elam Caldwell, a grandson of William Sharpe (1742–1818), a member of the Continental Congress.
Emanuel Reformed Church
The Emanuel United Church of Christ, also known as Emanuel Reformed Church, is a historic United Church of Christ church building located at 329 E. Main St. It was designed by Henry E. Bonitz and built in 1913. It is a rectangular Late Gothic Revival style red-orange brick church with a four-stage corner tower. It features cast cement detailing, lancet arched windows, and buttresses with cement caps.
Emmanuel Lutheran Church
Emmanuel Lutheran Church is located at 216 S. Aspen Street. It was built in 1919, and is a rectangular Late Gothic Revival style brick church with a four-stage central tower with a conical steeple. It features pale beige terra cotta, cast stone, granite, and poured cement detailing; lancet arched door and window openings; and stepped buttresses.
Eureka Manufacturing Company Cotton Mill
Eureka Manufacturing Company Cotton Mill, also known as Tait Yarn Company and Lincoln Bonded Warehouse Company, is a historic cotton mill on Water Street in Lincolnton. It was built between 1907 and 1910, and is a two-story, brick factory building with a three-story stair tower. Adjacent to the factory is a two-story brick office building built between 1902 and 1906. The buildings housed the Eureka Manufacturing Company from 1906 to 1937, and Tait Yarn Company from 1949 to 1966. Lincoln Bonded Warehouse occupied the buildings into the late-1990s. The main building is being converted to a brewery.
First Baptist Church - Lincoln Cultural Center
First Baptist Church, also known as the Lincoln Cultural Center, is a historic Classical Revival style structure designed by arthitect James M. Michael. It features a tetrastyle two-story portico and a spherical dome. Its plans were approved in 1919; construction was completed in 1922. The building was acquired by Lincoln County and renovated as the Lincoln Cultural Center and opened for public use in September 1991.
First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church is a located at 114 W. Main Street. Built in 1917 in the Late Gothic Revival style, it features projecting corner towers, a front gable slate roof and shallow, cement-capped buttresses, and lancet-arch windows. The interior is a modified Akron Plan with a theater-style sanctuary and adjoining space for extra seating or Sunday school.
First United Methodist Church (1919)
First United Methodist Church was built in three stages in 1919–1920, 1936, and 1956–1957. The oldest section is a two-story Classical Revival style brick church with a two-story portico and dome-covered sanctuary.
William A. Graham Jr. Farm
William A. Graham Jr. Farm is a historic home and farm located near Denver and Kidville in the eastern end of Lincoln County. The farmhouse was built about 1890, and is a two-story, three bay, rectangular frame dwelling. The front facade features a large central gable with ornate gable ornaments. Also located on the property is a two-story, 16-sided, “round barn” with a low, polygonal roof that radiates from an eight-sided blind cupola; log outbuilding; and a smokehouse. The property was the working experimental farmstead after the American Civil War of William A. Graham, Jr., (1839–1923), son of governor and statesman William Alexander Graham (1804–1875).
Ingleside is located near Iron Station in Lincoln County. It was built about 1817, and is a two-story, five bay by three bay, Federal style brick mansion. The front facade features a pedimented portico supported by four Ionic order stuccoed brick columns. It was built by CongressmanDaniel Munroe Forney, son of Congressman Peter Forney.
Laboratory Historic District
Laboratory Historic District is located in the Laboratory section of Lincoln County. It encompasses seven contributing buildings and two contributing structures associated with the Laboratory Cotton Mill and its founder and owner, Daniel E. Rhyne. They include the Laboratory Cotton Mill (1887), the Laboratory Cotton Mill Reservoir (c. 1887), the Daniel E. Rhyne House (1894), and the Federal/Greek Revival style Hoke-Rhyne House (c. 1844). The mill closed in the late 1990s and is open as an event venue.
Lincoln County Courthouse
Lincoln County Courthouse is the iconic center of Lincolnton. It was designed by Raleigh architect James A. Salter and built in 1921. It is three-story ashlar stone, Classical Revival style building. It has a taller central section flanked by flat roofed wings, matching pedimented hexastyle Doric order porticoes on the front and rear of the center section, and a Doric frieze along its sides.
Lincolnton Commercial Historic District
Lincolnton Commercial Historic District encompasses 62 contributing buildings and 2 contributing objects in the central business district of Lincolnton. It includes a variety of commercial, institutional, and industrial buildings dating between about 1900 and 1955. Located in the district are the separately listed Classical Revival style Lincoln County Courthouse and First United Methodist Church. Other notable buildings include the Frank Beal House (c. 1910), Karl L. Lawing House (c. 1905), Reinhardt Building, Carolina First National Bank, Central Candy and Cigar Company, Jonas Building (c. 1950), Wampum Department Stores (c. 1905), Rhodes and Corriher Company building, and Coca-Cola Bottling Company building.
Loretz House was built in 1793, and is a two-story, five bay by two bay, brick dwelling. It has a gable roof and features patterned brickwork. The interior has a number of Georgian style decorative elements. Also on the property is a contributing brick smokehouse.
The Madison-Derr Iron Furnace
The Madison-Derr Iron Furnace was built in 1809 and rebuilt in 1855. It is a truncated pyramid of stone six feet across the bosh by 30 feet high, and produced tons of foundry metal from the “ore bank” about a half mile away.
Magnolia Grove is a historic plantation house located near Iron Station in Lincoln County. It was built about 1824, and is a 2 1/2-story, five bay by two bay, style brick dwelling with a Quaker plan interior. It has a gable roof, sits on a full raised basement, and one-story hip-roof porches on the front and rear facades.
Mount Welcome, also known as the John Franklin Reinhardt House, is located near Mariposa and Lowesville. It was built in 1885, and is a two-story double-pile weatherboarded frame dwelling. It has a low hipped roof and incorporates a rear ell that was part of an earlier Federal/Greek Revival dwelling.
Old White Church Cemetery
Old White Church Cemetery, also known as Emmanuel Church Cemetery, is a historic cemetery and part of the South Aspen Street Historic District. It was established in 1788, and contains the marked graves of some 265 citizens of Lincolnton, with an even larger number of unmarked graves. The oldest marked grave dates to 1801. The gravestones include notable examples of 19th and early-20th century funerary art. It is the oldest burying ground in the town of Lincolnton.
Pleasant Retreat Academy/Memorial Hall (1817-1820)
Pleasant Retreat Academy was built between 1817 and 1820, and is a two-story brick building, four bays wide and two deep, on a low fieldstone foundation in a restrained Federal style. It has a gable roof and a partially exposed, single-shoulder chimney on each gable end. The school remained in operation until about 1878. It later housed a private residence, private school, and the Lincoln County Public Library until 1965. It is currently being used by the Daughters of the Confederacy.
Reinhardt-Craig House, Kiln and Pottery Shop
Reinhardt-Craig House, Kiln and Pottery Shop is a historic home, kiln, and pottery shop located near Vale in Lincoln County. The house, kiln and pottery shop, were built by Harvey Reinhardt between 1933 and 1936. The house is a one-story, rectangular frame building, two bays wide by three bays deep. It has a front gable roof and a shed-roofed, full-width, front porch. The kiln is a traditional, wood-fired, alkaline glaze groundhog cross-draft kiln that includes a firebox, arch, and chimney, all made of brick. It measures 24 feet, 11 inches long by 11 feet, 6 inches wide. The one-story shop is a frame structure with a side-gabled tin roof and wood clapboard siding. Also on the property is a contributing pubmill built in 1949. The pottery was a producer of traditional Catawba Valley Pottery and associated with Burlon Craig (ca. 1914-2002).
Rock Springs Camp Meeting Ground
Rock Springs Camp Meeting Ground is a historic Methodist camp meeting ground located near Denver in the eastern end of Lincoln County. The arbor was built in 1832, and is a rectangular open structure with a deep hipped roof and ventilation cap at the apex. It has a raised platform with a pine pulpit and seating for 1,000. The property has 288 numbered wooden “tents” placed in two and a partial third concentric ring around the arbor. Tent No. 1 is believed to date to the early-1830s. Rock Springs Camp Meeting Ground is the earliest camp meeting organization in North Carolina.
Salem Union Church and Cemetery
Salem Union Church and Cemetery, also known as Salem Lutheran Church and Salem United Church of Christ, is a historic United Church of Christ church located near Maiden. The church was built in 1849 as a simple rectangular brick building, and enlarged and remodeled in the Late Gothic Revival style in 1914–1915. With the remodeling, a two-stage corner tower was added and the window and door openings converted to lancet-arch openings. A two-story Sunday School addition was built in 1936-1937 and in 1989 a Fellowship Hall was built to form an “H”-shaped church building. Also on the property is a contributing well shed (c. 1928) and cemetery with burials dating to 1792.
Andrew Seagle Farm
Andrew Seagle Farm is a historic home and farm located near Reepsville in Lincoln County. The farmhouse was built in two sections, each two stories, three-bays wide, with the oldest dating to 1860. It has a full-width shed roofed front porch. Also located on the property are the contributing log barn, smokehouse, and storage buildings and a dome shaped stuccoed brick “bake oven.”
Shadow Lawn was built in 1826, and is a two-story, five-bay by two-bay, Federal-style brick mansion. It has a gable roof, is set on a full basement, and features three exterior end chimneys. It was the home of Congressman Charles R. Jonas (1904–1988), who purchased the property in 1935.
Vesuvius Furnace is a historic home and iron furnace located between Denver and Iron Station in Lincoln County. The house was built in two sections the older dated to about 1792, with the western section added about 1810–1820. It is a two-story, five bays wide and two deep, frame structure with a one-story shed porch. The furnace was built in 1790, and is constructed of large stone blocks of random sizes, but about half of the square pyramidal structure has fallen down. The furnace is about 20 feet high and is filled with dirt, debris, and vegetation. Vesuvius Furnace was established by General Joseph Graham, who was one of the chief leaders in the 18th and early 19th century production of iron in Lincoln County, and was the father of governor and Secretary of the Navy William Alexander Graham.
West Main Street Historic District
West Main Street Historic District encompasses 18 contributing buildings in a predominantly residential section of Lincolnton. It includes notable examples of Federal, Greek Revival, and Colonial Revival style architecture dating between about 1819 and 1941. Located in the district is the separately listed Shadow Lawn. Other notable buildings include the Michal-Butt-Brown-Pressly House (c. 1819), William H. Michal House (c. 1854), Rouser-Hildebrand-Burgin House (c. 1842), Robert Steve Reinhardt House (c. 1925), and Charles Hoover, Jr., House (c. 1941).
Woodside, also known as the James Pinckney Henderson House, is a historic plantation house. It was built about 1798, and is a two-story, four bay by three bay, Federal style brick dwelling with a Quaker plan interior. It has a gable roof, is set on a random granite foundation, and features three single-shouldered exterior end chimneys. It was built by Lawson Henderson and is believed to be the birthplace of his son, Texas political leader James Pinckney Henderson (1808–1858).