Collections Plan 2004-2009
To maintain and develop the collections and services, in accordance
with the requirements of Museum Registration.
Strategy: Determine essential collections components to more efficiency manage
- Objective 1: Purchase appropriate collections software to accession, catalog,
photograph, document, and inventory collections.
- Objective 2: Revise collections policy and procedures manual for all collections bi-annually.
- Objective 3: Revise deaccession policy for all collections bi-annually.
To maintain and improve standards of curatorial custody, preservation, and conservation of the collections
Strategy 1: Monitor security needs of collections while at the Lincoln Cultural Center
and at the new museum.
- Objective 1: Outline immediate security needs in the Association’s office, collections
rooms, and museum.
- Objective 2: Compile a list of emergency/security contacts (members) and codes to
Strategy 2: Assess preventive and remedial conservation needs and take appropriate
- Objective 1: Compile a list of objects and artifacts that requirement immediate
- Objective 2: Complete Disaster Preparedness Plan (currently under construction).
- Objective 3: Compile a list of conservation and preservation grants for collections.
Strategy 3: Develop documentation plan for collections.
- Objective 1: Start yearly random inventories of collections.
- Objective 2: Review collections logs and accession files for appropriate documentation.
- Objective 3: Contact donors for proper documentation.
Strategy 4: Assess long-term storage needs of collections while at the Lincoln Cultural Center, and at the new museum.
- Objective 1: Compile list of current objects in onsite and offsite storage.
- Objective 2: Develop formula for percentage of donations (3-D and paper-based) over
the past ten years to determine potential percentages of donations for next three to five years.
- Objective 3: Determine percentage of storage needed at new museum based on
To increase access to the collections.
Strategy: Complete new museum with space devoted for permanent and temporary
exhibits and research room.
- Objective 1: Process manuscript collections and develop finding aid for manuscript
collections (current space).
- Objective 2: Provide space in Sonoco Resource Library for research room
- Objective 3: Develop 3 to 5 year exhibit plan (current and future space).
- Objective 4: Print inventory of museum’s collections.
- Objective 5: Determine percentage of space needed for research room in new museum.
To encourage scholarly activities with the collections, including
teaching, research, and publications.
Strategy 1: Plan conferences, seminars involving academics with an emphasis
on collections, research, publications.
- Objective 1: Develop a list of speakers for specific topics and subject areas.
Strategy 2: Develop the use of collections in middle and high school teaching.
- Objective 1: Formulate lesson plan based around museum collections to be used in
school programs, both in the classroom and at the museum
Strategy 3: Encourage public research relating to the museum’s Collections.
- Objective 1: Establish Education and Publications Committee to plan history and
museum-related publications, exhibits, and programs.
- Objective 2: Discuss with history teachers the provision of “handling sessions” in
- Objective 3: Staff to publish at least one scholarly article on the collections each year.
To demonstrate the value of the collections to the citizens of Lincoln
County in order to justify financial support within the community and from outside sources.
Strategy 1: Form partnerships with local nonprofits and arts/cultural organization to
promote value of collections.
- Objective: Collaborate with local groups on disaster planning to conserve local
Strategy 2: Plan open-door sessions with members, local officials, and general public to demonstrate the value of collections.
- Objective 1: Invite local officials to informal sessions to educate them about the
- Objective 2: Conduct “A Night with the Collections” throughout the year (bimonthly,
Strategy 3: Demonstrate the value of collections with organizational financial planning and donor planning.
- Objective 1: Form a Friends Group to assist the organization with fundraising for
collections acquisition budget.
- Objective 2: Continue compiling Lead Files on donors with artifacts, objects, and
To promote effectiveness, efficiency, and professionalism in
administration and management of the museum’s collections.
Strategy: Hire additional collections and exhibits staff.
- Objective: Provide training opportunities for staff, volunteers, and Collections
and Conservation Committee.
|About Us | Exhibits | Projects | Collections | Historic Sites | Events | Contact Us | Be Involved